Monday 11 July 2016

Training Routine

I have been asked by a few people what my normal training routine is.  I normally compete in sprint triathlons, so my training is based around them. I might change things a little dependent on other commitments or races but my basic training plan is something like this:

The bulk of my training revolves around the bike. I am lucky enough to be able to cycle to work and try to do so 4 times a week with a longer route home a couple of times a week. On top of this I will try and do at least one longer ride at the weekend and/or a time trial during the week. Time trials are great for triathletes as they allow you to get used to the cycle leg of a triathlon, they also provide a perfect opportunity to do a brick run which is often overlooked by triathletes. A brick run is a short run immediately after a cycle ­ exactly as you will do in a triathlon. Practicing this will help you get used to one of the toughest parts of a triathlon when you are trying to get your legs from pedal mode to run mode. Weekend rides will be a group ride, either a longer slower paced ride or a high intensity short ride.

On Thursday’s I have swimming training, this takes place at the gym I go to and is a group session designed to help improve swimming technique. As swimming is my weakest of the three triathlon disciplines these sessions help immeasurably, not only have they helped to improve my technique, in particular using my upper body more and saving my legs for the cycle and swim, but they have also provided me with some good drills which is more effective than just swimming lengths.

If I am not racing in a time trial on a Tuesday then I will go to running training. Again this is a club at the gym that I go to and will normally be an interval based session. Even as a strong runner I have found that these interval sessions have made a difference to my running. As a simple way of introducing intervals, try adding some sprints to your normal runs – e.g. every mile sprint for a minute.

I also play football on a Monday and try and get one or two gym sessions in each week. Football provides some cross training which is often an overlooked aspect of training plans. My gym sessions are mainly strength based and are designed with a personal trainer to help all three aspects of a triathlon although they mainly focus on swimming as this is my weakest area.

If you are looking at completing a sprint triathlon then training does not have to take over your life, it can be fitted in around and include activities that you already do. You do not have to go on day long cycle rides, spend hours swimming lengths or pounding the pavement. Most people will be able to complete a sprint triathlon in under 2 hours so you need to bear this in mind when planning your training sessions and make sure you are training efficiently for the triathlon. Make sure that you are covering all three disciplines and I would try and do some brick runs, spend more time on your weak points but don’t neglect what you are good at! I highly recommend joining any local clubs and to also seek out some professional assistance to gain triathlon specific training plans and coaching. Finally, don't use the weather as a reason to put off training outdoors, you can’t guarantee what the weather will be like on race day!

No comments:

Post a Comment