Wednesday 7 June 2017

Soria

So after 5 months of preparation the big race had finally come round.

I was heading to Soria on the Thursday to allow me plenty of time to do everything that I do before all races normally in about 10 minutes.  It also meant I would be able to relax and prepare without rushing or getting stressed.  As it was such a big race it was being set up days in advance rather than on the day like a lot of events.  It was however on closed roads so whilst I could do a partial recce of the bike course it was hard to properly get a feel for what it would be like on race day.  It did however show me that there were going to be some very fast sections as I found myself freewheeling at 30mph at one point!

On the Saturday we had a team brief where all the information that we needed to know was provided including the all important transition maps.  We were going to have a steep uphill run into transition from the first run and then a long run up hill with the bike to get out of transition.  There were also decisions to be made as to when you got your feet into your shoes properly as there was a steep climb almost straight away on the bike course.  Second transition was a much simpler affair all being down hill.

As I was staying a little way out of Soria it was an early start on the day of the race as we had to drive into Soria and collect our bikes before setting up our transition areas before the race start of 8.30am.  I was surprisingly calm considering the circumstances and even managed to take my customary transition photo.  I also finally decided that I would use a second pair of trainers as my attempts at taking them off without using my hands wasn't capable of leaving them in a good place to then put them back on after the cycle.  I then had time for a quick warm up and headed off to the start line

Lining up in team GB kit is easily the proudest moment of my life and knowing the support I had in Soria and at home inspired me to perform to the best of my ability.  I was starting in the second wave so it got quite tense as we saw the first wave running back towards us and then disappearing into the park to continue their first 5k run.

The first run went well other than not getting quite as good a starting place as I would have liked,  I managed to get some space and find my rhythm within the first few hundred meters and then just continued at the pace I had decided on.  Transition was going smoothly, I had gone straight to my bike and was heading off up the slope to the mount lines when one of my shoes somehow came off my bike due to the exit going over some tree roots. Quite impressively, looking back, I didn't panic, I just stopped put the shoe on and carried on running out of transition with one shoe on my foot and one on the bike much to the confusion of my family who were stood watching just after the exit from transition. It wasn't until I got to the top of the hill straight after transition that I was able to get my second foot into my shoe, but was able to utilise the downhill of an underpass that we went through to maintain my speed.  All of this was done with no drama or panic though which I am very proud of, I even managed to put time into some of my rivals during the transition despite the issue I had. I think the lesson to be learnt is that there is no point in panicking in such situations just remain calm and you will easily be able to see the required resolution. 

The first lap of the bike course was good, I had got into a group of people that seemed to be about the same speed that I wanted to be doing which helped with pacing.  The course was tough, as predicted, due to the 30mph winds and the amount of climbing on the short 10km out and back course.  Everyone was having to do the same course in the same conditions though and there were quite a few that were still using disc rear wheels despite the high winds!  Fairly soon into the second lap of the bike course I felt one of my calves twinge slightly I kept going none the less knowing that I could try and stretch it out on some of the downhill sections where I would still be able to maintain a high speed.  This seemed to work and I thought I had got rid of it until my right leg completely locked out as my calf completely cramped up.  Luckily I was able to freewheel and stretch it enough to be able to get movement back in it at which point I instantly increased my cadence in an effort to keep it moving.  This worked and got me back to transition.  As we had a steep downhill with a sharp corner at the bottom into the dismount line this was the perfect time to get my feet out of my shoes and then produce a somewhat tentative flying dismount as I was half expecting to cramp up again.

Second transition went well although I could still feel my calves slightly as I ran out for the final 2.5km.  Strangely though the cramp had totally gone within 500m allowing me to settle into a pace and dig deep for a final 9 minutes till the finish line.  With about 1km to go I ran past a friend who had started in the wave before me and was now just a few hundred meters ahead of me, his shout of encouragement spurred me on, and after talking to him later spurred himself on as we started our own little chase game.  I was able to hold my own on the final run and didn't let anyone past me although I went past quite a few.  A photo taken just before I crossed the line shows that I was not finding it easy though!

I finished in 118th position and was 21st in my age group.  It is strange to think that I am so happy with how I did considering that I am normally disappointed if I am not in the top 10 at the absolute least.  But this was a European Championship and I was racing the best Europe had to offer.  I was also very happy with the fact that I had only just scrapped through qualification and yet beat 11 other Team GB member in my age group showing that the training I had done had paid off.

The other thing I have to mention is the support that I received throughout the race from the crowd.  Having run events such as the London Marathon I think the support from the crowds in Soria was on a par.  Whilst it did not rival those big races in terms of volume what you did get was better as it was more personal, fairly soon you were in your own space and knew that anyone shouting "Go team GB" or something similar was shouting it at you personally and you were getting this every few hundred meters on the runs which was amazing. Also of course a huge thanks Giant Leamington Spa and Nuffield Health Warwick who both provide help and support that got me to Soria in the first place.

Back in England I am now already planning for the qualification races in October.  I have also had a facebook memory pop up from 4 years ago, when I did my first ever triathlon on a mountain bike.  I think this perfectly displays the world of triathlon and duathlon -  anyone can do them regardless of ability.  There is no barrier, you do not have to be competing at the level I am and in fact there are far more people who are chasing their own PB or just want to get around than doing everything they can to save a few seconds here and there.  If you do want to be one of those people then it is totally possible, as I have proven going from a mountain biker who laughed at "roadies" to where I am in less than 4 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment