Wednesday 28 February 2018

Winter 2017/18

I’ve been pretty quiet recently, mainly due to an injury which has prevented me from training for the last few months.

2017 ended with a mix of emotions, I won a race for the first time and qualified for the European Sprint Duathlon Championships in Ibiza. I finished 20th overall in the qualification race at Oulton Park and 3rd in my age group thanks to producing the 2nd best overall bike split.

I had already started to plan my winter training to try and improve my running when I tore my groin. The injury prevented all forms of exercise for over a month during which time pretty much any movement or lack of, I struggled to sit down comfortably, caused me some considerable pain. It then became a case of trying to build the strength back in the muscle without causing it more damage.

Three months down the line and I am seeing improvements although I am still only at about 80% of where I was at in October on the bike and have only just started to run again. My focus now is to get back to peak fitness as quickly as I can whilst not rushing things and causing any set backs.

I have a race penciled in for March as well as defending my title at Southam Triathlon in April although I am not sure if these will be too soon. I had wanted to be able to work more on triathlon this season as well as a potential step up to standard distance duathlon. Although those of you that know me well will know that one of those will require more swimming and the other will require significantly more than 10 miles on the bike so coming out of my comfort zone either way.

Hopefully the next blog will be sooner and happier than this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment