Friday 22 April 2016

ARGI+

I was asked to try a product by a friend called ARGI+, the claim being that it would help improve your performances. 

Having done a little reading the product is based on an amino acid called L’Arginine which helps improve circulation. The claim seems too good to not try, improved circulation is of benefit to anyone not just athletes trying to eke out every last ounce of speed from their body.

To test the product I decided to take some before bed for 4 nights prior to completing a half marathon and then on the morning of the race itself.  The reasoning for this was that I would be gaining benefit of increased circulation prior to my body going into recovery mode during sleep leaving me fully prepared for the race and then gaining benefit during the race itself.

As it turns out on the Tuesday before the race I went for a training run and instantly knew my legs did not feel right, to the point that I was not actually going to do the race as a result. However on the Saturday morning I went for a run to see how my legs were feeling to make a last minute decision on whether I would race or not. Whilst they did not quite feel 100% they felt good enough that I decided I would race much to the surprise of those who knew how I had been feeling on Tuesday.

Based on my small test I believe that there were some benefit in regards helping my recovery. However in regards to race day performance I am not so sure there was any noticeable difference.  This said my legs did not feel as heavy the day after the race as I was expecting based on a 10 mile race I had done 2 weeks earlier which was the cause for my doubts over completing the half marathon at all.

I am looking forward to being able to do longer term testing to be able to make a more definite decision on its benefits.

More than happy to discuss further with anyone if you want to know more, incidentally I came 35th in a time of 1:26:53.

No comments:

Post a Comment