Thursday 14 April 2016

What I've been up to for the past couple of months

It seems like ages since I last posted a blog so I figured I’d give a quick run down of what’s been keeping me busy and not given me the time to post anything.

So first up is that i spent just over 2 weeks at the GSK Human Performance Lab taking part in a study into how the body recovers. It was a cycling based test and there will be more to follow regarding this.

As soon as I was back from GSK I was straight into racing starting with the Draycote Water 10m.  This was intended as a warm up for the Warwick Half marathon 2 weeks later where I was aiming for a sub 1:25 time. The idea was that if I could do the 10m in sub 1:05 then I would be able to complete the extra 3 miles in 20 minutes to get me the time I wanted.  After the first 100m or so I realised there was no one ahead of me, for the first time ever I was actually leading a running race! After a moment of panic that I had gone off to fast I realised that I was running at the pace I wanted to be so carried on as I was.  After about a mile I was running with one other guy, we continued running together until about 8 miles and seemed to have a good gap on 3rd place. At this point though he kicked on and I decided to let him go as I was already running ahead of my intended target time and was feeling like I was on my limit.  Not long after this I was suddenly caught by another guy and ended up finishing in third place.  After the finish I got talking to the 2 guys who beat me and found out that the one that won it was hoping to qualify as an elite for the London marathon next year and that the one that finished second had messed his pacing up and realised half way round and so had run a much faster second half.  Knowing this and that I had finished over 2 minutes faster than my target I was very happy with my third place.

The last thing I did was the Warwick half marathon. It was a last minute decision to run as my legs had not felt good since Draycote and after a training run on the Tuesday before the race they felt awful.  I went for a gentle run the day before the race and felt a lot better so decided to go for it.  I wasn’t quite at the pace I wanted to be at although for the main part I still seemed to be on target to achieve a sub 1:25 time.  Towards the end though the combination of hills and fatigue starting to set in meant that I started to slow and finished in 1:26:53 in 35th place. Overall really happy even though I didn’t achieve my target however I still managed a good pb for a race that is further than I would normally run.

I have since completed the Hell of the North Cotswolds Bike ride and am competing in my first triathlon of the season in Duston on the 17th April so keep an eye out for updates on those as well as more on training.

No comments:

Post a Comment